Friday, April 4, 2014

My Orchids

"Since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart," I Peter 1:22
(Mary writes):
My husband surprised me on Valentine's Day with a bouquet. At least, he thought it was a bouquet. But here it was actually a plant! A beautiful yellow phalaenopsis orchid, also know as the moth orchid.


A regular Valentine's bouquet would soon wither and die away. But not mine! It is still in bloom; only a few flowers are fading now. And if I take good care of it, it will bloom again next winter.

Loving each other is a command of the Lord we want to obey. When we do obey Him in this, we will find that it is going to mean some "burning away" of selfishness. Our selfishness keeps us from loving purely and sincerely. When our love is pure, we will be able to love fervently. Fervent means intensely passionate, coming from a Latin word which means 'to boil'.  Does that describe out relationship with our Christian brothers and sisters, our husbands and wives and children?

"Oh Lord, I find I do not love others as I ought. Forgive me and help me to obey You. Purify my soul, take away the selfishness so I can truly love others as You have commanded. In Christ's name. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment